Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Rajnikanth Entry Song - A Genre of it's Own

So we're one day away from ENDHIRAN's release here in the U.S. and I for one am super excited. There's somewhat of a rush going to a new Rajnikanth movie, a feeling of exhiliration when sitting in the theatre with a bunch of rowdy Tamilians who will no doubt whistle, stomp and cheer for Rajni's entry ...

... which brings me to my list of Favorite Rajni Entry Songs. Tamil movies consistently have a 'Hero's Entry Song' - usually a fast-paced, all-male dance number that uses the lyrics or setting to tell you about the Hero's background and character. It usually shows the Hero in the streets with a gang of friends (and extras!) having a jolly time, making passes at girls (the girls usually stop to dance along for a while too) and generally being charming and exciting.

Rajni's Entry Songs are even more powerful because it's simply the first moment you see him on-screen - which of course HAS to be loud and thrilling! Often times the song will echo into his next film somewhere because they are so beloved by his throngs of fans. He usually walks/leaps/turns into his first shot and gives some sort of recognition to the audience - either a smile, namaste or wink - and the masses go WILD. It's freakin' awesome.

So after creating my list of favorite Rajni movies yesterday, I found myself humming some of his most popular tunes and decided I had to make a list, and as long as I was making it, why not share it? So here is my list of favorite Rajnikanth HERO'S ENTRY songs:

Vanthenda Paalkkaaran - Annamalai



Naan Autokaaran Autokaaran - Baasha


Oruvan Oruvan - Muthu


Athanda Ithanda - Arunachalam


Singanadipottu - Padaiyappa


Dippu Dippu - Baba


Devuda Devuda - Chandramukhi (re-peeeaaatuuuu!)


Balailakka - Sivaji


I can't remember if this is the first song in Kuselan (the tamil predecessor of Irrfan Khan & SRK's Billu), but it certainly is the best! This awesome song features tons of familiar faces and is a tribute to the 75th anniversary of the Tamil Film Industry:

Cinema Cinema - Kuselan


These aren't necessarily my favorite songs from these movies, just the ones that best exemplify the "Rajni Entry". I am waiting to see what happens when Rajni is first shown on screen in Endhiran. I can't wait! I am going to be on a family vacation during the release weekend, but I'm trying to figure out a way for all of us to go see it together.

I hope you enjoy these classic Rajni songs! Check back soon for @SujoySingha's Rekhatober Celebration!

1 comment:

  1. Fun fun fun! And I feel better prepared for watching Endhiran, which is my first Rajni film and only my second Tamil (the first being Kandoukondain Kandoukondain, which hardly had a hero entry like any of these!). I _think_, if I had to pick, "Dippu Dippu" is my favorite - I definitely did not expect to see him with bhangra music!

    ReplyDelete