Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Song of the Day: 90s Nostalgia, synthesizers and Kavita Krishnamurthy

As I've mentioned before, I wake up every morning with a random song in my head. It's not always Bolly-related, but on the days that it is I get some doozies.

Like this one. When the Yalgaar soundtrack came out in 1992, I was all over that ish. Viju Shah is actually one of my favorite music directors, though I always forget about him. I've loved every one of his soundtracks (Vishwatma, Mohra, Tere Mere Sapne, and Gupt!). And he's the son of Kalyanji of Kalyanji-Anandji fame who produced one of my favorite songs ever, "Oye Oye" from Tridev (ok I know it's a total rip-off of Gloria Estefan's "Rhythm is Gonna Get You" but who cares???). He was paired with Channi Singh from the popular Punjabi group Alaap for the soundtrack of this movie. I LOVED Alaap! Some of my favorite filmi songs were copied from their music ... i.e. "Mujhe Neendh Na Aaye" from Dil which was taken from their popular song "Chunni Ud Ud Jaye."

Piece all that together with "Jhankar Beats," a super cheesy disco club setting, a super 90s looking hero played by Vicky Arora (who cares who he is? He has a curly mullet and a puffy white shirt with vest!), side-by-side dance steps, and Manisha Koirala with Snooki hair and a sequins bellydance costume and you have total ridiculousness. AND I LOVE IT.

My two favorite things about this song are the synthesizer music (soooo 90s) and Kavita Krishnamurthy's voice. I didn't love her voice when she started singing for films, but now when EVERY SINGLE SONG is sung by Shreya Ghoshal, I really miss her distinctive sound.

Note: Manisha Koirala should NEVER dance. Just ... no.

So here's my nostalgia song for the day - "Ho Jaata Hai Kaise Pyar" from Yalgaar which starred Feroz Khan, Sanjay Dutt, Kabir Bedi, Nagma and Manisha Koirala. The music was by Viju Shah and Channi Singh and the song was sung by 90s staples Kumar Sanu and Kavita Krishnamurthy. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment