Monday, July 16, 2012

Song of the Day: Rishi Kapoor Motor Chalein Pom Pom Pom ...

It's been really hard to get around to blogging lately but I wanted to just quickly post a song of the day ... this one has floated around in my head a few times but this is the first time I was able to get on to Blogger to share it ...

I had an audio cassette of Hindi Children's Songs when I was little and I abused the heck out of that thing. Some of my favorites on the tape were "Hans Tu Hardum" from Lootmaar,  "Bachchon Tum Ho Khel Khilone" from Tapasya, "Lakdi Ki Kathi" from Masoom and this one ...

So imagine my surprise years and years later, after the advent of YouTube, when I discovered that this song which I had known for so long actually starred my absolute favorite - Rishi Kapoor! And he is in full 1,000 watt smile, Ronald McDonald fro effect. Guess who's smitten. Me.

Careful viewers will note that Mithun Chakraborty is one of Rishi's sideys. I know!!

As much as I love Rishi forever and ever, I admit that this song is owned 100% by Kishore Kumar who sang it with so much jubilation. Oh Kishore, how I miss you! 

So here's "Manubhai Motor Chale Pom Pom Pom" from Phool Khile Hai Gulshan Gulshan (1978) which starred Rishi Kapoor and Moushumi Chatterjee (what a random pairing!), music by Laxmikant Pyarelal, sung by the beyond perfect Kishore Kumar.

No comments:

Post a Comment